Happy, happy Halloween, to all!
We’re a bit ahead of the game but since the next time we’ll see you here on the blog, it will be November, we wanted to be the first to say it. If you don’t have your costume yet or aren’t sure what you’re going to be, we’ve found some of the best 2020 costumes you can buy or pull together yourself. From a simple beret to make you “Emily in Paris” to dressing in all black to be Moira Rose, to a full-out “Hamilton” tribute costume, there are plenty of last-minute options.
Now that you’re costumed, you’re ready to check out the top trends and topics for this week!
Upcoming Holidays & Observances
- Halloween – Oct. 31
- Election Day – Nov. 3
- Head here to make sure you’re registered before you vote in-person!
- National Stress Awareness Day – Nov. 4 (wonder if there’s a reason why it’s after Election Day…)
- National Parents as Teachers Day – Nov. 8
- A wonderful way to give a “thank you” to all the parents now adding “Zoom teacher” to their resume this year
Trends You Should Know
- This past Friday, Oct. 23, the infamous sequel “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm” became available on Amazon Prime and to say that it was interesting would be an understatement. While we won’t spoil anything, stories have already come out about several scenes that don’t portray the best of everyone. Regarded by some as more an expose and example of investigative journalism rather than a satire comedy, the film will surely be discussed heading into the upcoming election.
- The prayers of every child from the 90s have been answered – Bette Midler has confirmed that a sequel to the cult-classic, “Hocus Pocus,” has been approved by Disney+ and is already in the works! The second film will feature the iconic Sanderson sisters with the original cast of Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy. To see the trio before the new movie, you can watch their special one-night-only virtual event, “In Search of the Sanderson Sisters,” this Friday, Oct. 30, benefitting the New York Restoration Project – tickets cost $10 and can be purchased here.
- Nominations for the American Music Awards hosted by Billboard were just announced, with The Weeknd and Roddy Ricch leading the pack with eight nominations each, including artist of the year. The awards will air on your local ABC channel Sunday, Nov. 22 at 8 p.m. ET.
- Change the jingle because for the first time in almost 160 years, Santa will not be coming to town. At least not to Macy’s Herald Square flagship location. With COVID-19 not letting up any time soon, the store will not be having the man in the red suit for photos, meet and greets, and more. Macy’s Chicago and San Francisco stores will be following suit as well. Macy’s isn’t the only one doing this, with malls across the country letting their mall Santas go. Fret not – Santa will be there at the end of the Thanksgiving Day parade!
We hope you have a great rest of your week and we’ll see you back here next Monday for the first day of November!