Happy Cyber Monday, everyone, and we hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! One of the big shopping holidays this year, retailers around the globe are slashing prices for today only on everything from clothing and shoes to kitchen appliances and televisions. What do you have your sights on today?
After you’ve wrapped up shopping and pushing your credit card balance to the limit, take a read through our trend report to find out everything you need to know for the rest of this week.
Upcoming Holidays & Observances
- Giving Tuesday – Dec. 1
- National Cookie Day – Dec. 4
- Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day – Dec. 7
- Hanukkah – Begins at sundown Dec. 10 – Dec. 18
Trends You Should Know
- It’s officially holiday movie time and if this is your favorite time of year, Reviews.org may have the perfect job for you. Applications are now open for the dream job of “holiday movie watcher!” One lucky winner will be chosen to hold this title and get paid $2,500 to watch 25 holiday movies over the span of 25 days – that’s easy money right there! The winner will also receive a one-year subscription to seven different streaming services, so they can watch all their favorite movies. The hiring window closes this Friday, Dec. 3!
- Theme parks may be open in a limited capacity in the U.S., but in Japan, they have their sights set on opening a new one to the public. Universal Studios Japan has just announced their plan to open a Nintendo-focused theme park in February 2021. The massive park that cost over $580 million to build will feature beloved characters like Mario and Luigi, a full-sized replica of Bowser’s Castle and more – guests can even collect virtual coins (a nod to Super Mario) with a wristband.
- We shared last week that a viral TikTok star was recently fired from Sherwin-Williams for his videos recorded during work hours of mixing paint. While he thought he was sharing his love of paint with a younger audience that doesn’t interact with the brand, Sherwin-Williams felt that it was improper use of company time and supplies. Well almost immediately after this decision went viral, Tony Piloseno received offers from nearly every major paint company across the country! And now, Tony is already back on a payroll, this time with Florida Paints, a small competitor with 25 paint stores in Florida, as a full-time employee in the sales and operations division and creator of his very own line of paints. We guess it all worked out in the end for Tony!
- With November coming to a close, it’s finally deemed the socially acceptable time to decorate for the holidays and listen to some themed tunes. Artists like Dolly Parton, Carrie Underwood and the Jonas Brothers have all released new festive songs this year, but the giant that tops them all on the charts is still “All I Want for Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey, a song that was recorded in 1994. With over 400 billion plays since it was released, it’s estimated the songstress has earned over $60 million in royalties, receiving over $500,000 each year just from the UK alone. With that kind of money, we understand why she loves the holiday season so much!
Now that you’re all set for the first week of December, it’s time to get into the holiday spirit and make the last month of 2020 a good one. We’ll see you on the blog next week!