Happy Tuesday, folks, and welcome back to the blog! If you had off yesterday like we did for Presidents’ Day, we hope you had a great long weekend and potentially took advantage of some of the great deals that were available.
Upcoming Holidays & Observances
- National Random Acts of Kindness Day – Feb. 17
- Need inspo on ways to celebrate? Check out Beverly Adams, powerhouse humanitarian and philanthropist
- National Love Your Pet Day – Feb. 20
- National Margarita Day – Feb. 22
- We’ll raise a salted rim glass to that!
- Golden Globe Awards – Feb. 28 at 8 p.m. ET
Trends You Should Know
- Happy Year of the Ox! Lunar New Year began on Friday, Feb. 12 and celebrations are still going strong – they typically last for 16 days and preparation starts seven days before Lunar New Year. While in the past, these celebrations filled with bright red and gold decorations, big meals and mandarin oranges drove masses of people to their local Chinatowns or even to China, this year, authorities have asked people to stay at home and celebrate. The Year of the Ox occurs every 12 years and if you were born in 1973, 1985, 1997 or 2009, it’s your year! You can find out all about what the Year of the Ox will bring to you here.
- Taylor Swift just does not rest! The singer released a new version of the 2008 hit “Love Story” and announced she will be dropping a re-recording of the entire album plus new never-before-heard songs. In the Instagram post about the releases, Taylor cryptically included signs that lead followers to believe the album will be available to hear on Friday, April 9. We’ll keep our eyes peeled for it!
- After a back and forth battle with Netflix, Dave Chapelle has agreed to let the streaming service include Chapelle’s Show to their platform. You may have seen it back as of last Friday, Feb. 12, just two months after it was pulled at his request.
- In other streaming service news, the Rodgers and Hammerstein version of “Cinderella” featuring Whitney Houston and Brandy is now available to watch exclusively on Disney+. The live-action movie from 1997 is praised by many as one of the best versions of the Cinderella story!
- If you haven’t had a McDonald’s Happy Meal in some time, now may be the time to do so. To bring back the nostalgia feel of wanting a Happy Meal for the exclusive toy (we all did it, especially with the Beanie Babies collaborations!) McDonald’s launched a Pokémon Happy Meal to mark the 25th anniversary of the franchise. The themed meals come in a Pikachu box and four trading cards including an exclusive holographic card just for the Happy Meal. McDonald’s also created a Happy Meal app and Pokémon coloring book and activity pages.
We hope you have a great rest of your week and we’ll see you back on the blog next Monday!