Happy Monday and welcome back to the blog! Today is March 15 and if you’re feeling a little groggy or like you didn’t get enough sleep, it’s because we sprung our clocks ahead one hour yesterday for Daylight Saving Time. Although this means we get more sunlight, it takes a couple of days to fully adjust. With St. Patrick’s Day coming up on Wednesday, let’s get you ready for the week with the trends you need to know!
Upcoming Holidays & Observances
- St. Patrick’s Day – March 17
- March Madness begins – March 18 (men’s) March 21 (women’s)
- Spring Equinox – March 20
- Passover begins – March 27
- Palm Sunday – March 28
- Holi – March 29
Trends You Should Know
- St. Patrick’s Day is this Wednesday, March 17. Similar to last year, it will look a bit different from previous celebrations. Parades around the country are being cancelled and parties have turned into socially-distant gatherings. There’s even a virtual week-long festival from March 12-17 with over 100 events including folklore readings, Irish food showcases and Irish dancing. What are you planning to do for the holiday?
- Have you ever thought that guacamole would make a great shade of eyeshadow? If so, Chipotle and Elf read your mind. The unlikely pair teamed up for a new makeup collection that encapsulates all the flavors of Chipotle. The collection includes an eyeshadow palette with colors like “Guac” and “Black Beans,” a hot sauce-inspired plumping lip gloss, an avocado-shaped makeup blender and a Chipotle bag makeup holder. With all items under $20, this collaboration may be worth picking up after your next Chipotle craving.
- Speaking of having some fun with your food, a viral recipe for “nature’s cereal” is going around Tik Tok and celebrities like Lizzo have even endorsed it! Sherwayne Mears of the account @natures_food created the recipe using pomegranate seeds, blueberries, strawberries, coconut water (in lieu of milk) and ice cubes. This writer tried it and it doesn’t taste quite like my favorite cereal Frosted Flakes, but it’s a yummy and refreshing way to eat your berries!
- The power of Oprah is real! Following her tell-all interview with Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, the patio furniture and chairs that were used on set have sold out on Amazon, Target AND Overstock.com. The wicker furniture retails for around $554 for two chairs and is actually made by Christopher Knight Home Burchett. If that name sounds familiar, Christopher Knight is the actor who played Peter Brady in “The Brady Bunch!”
- In other sports news outside of March Madness, the National Hockey League and ESPN finally landed on a deal to allow ESPN to stream games. The seven-year broadcast deal will kick off for the 2021-2022 season and will show games on ESPN, ABC and ESPN+. Great news for all of us who have YouTube TV and can watch a variety of games now.
We hope you have a great rest of your week and we’ll see you back on the blog next Monday!