We hope you had a wonderful weekend and welcome back to the blog. Today is Monday, March 8 and not only is it the start of a new week, but it is also International Women’s Day! As an agency created and led by incredibly strong women and comprised of amazing media and digital mavens, we’re always ready to celebrate the power of women. Take some time today to recognize and thank a powerful woman in your life!
When you’re done, start reading through this blog to see the trends you need to know for this week.
Upcoming Holidays & Observances
- International Women’s Day – March 8
- Daylight Savings Day – March 14
- Selection Sunday – March 14
- Spring Equinox – March 20
- Passover begins – March 27
Trends You Should Know
- It’s NCAA basketball tournament season, folks, and we’re just as ready as you are! The action starts early next week – see below for a breakdown of when to watch so you can plan the next couple of weeks accordingly:
- Women’s basketball regional tournaments are already under way (N.C. State brought home their second ACC tournament win in a row!) and the selection show for the national tournament will be on Monday, March 15. All the tournament games will be played in San Antonio this year and start on March 21 and 22. The National Championship will be held on Easter Sunday, Sunday, April 4.
- The men’s national tournament kicks off a day before the women on Sunday, March 14 with Selection Sunday. After that, the games start at 4 p.m. ET on Thursday, March 18 and the championship game is slated for Monday, April 5 at 9 p.m.
- Burger King UK is trying to back pedal after a poorly-phrased tweet went viral. For International Women’s Day, the fast food chain tweeted “Women belong in the kitchen.” Although they followed up with a tweet stating, “if they want to, of course” and sharing that they’re trying to change the gender ratio within the restaurant industry, the damage was already done. Many are responding that the shock value Burger King UK was trying to use for engagement ended up devaluing their message especially since both tweets fit the character amount for one tweet.
- Nature Valley has launched a new campaign paired with their mission to have fully recyclable packaging by 2025. With the hashtag #Recycle4Nature, the brand is asking purchasers of their Crunchy granola bars to bring their wrappers to Store Drop-Off bins. Nature Valley will then recycle those wrappers to create playground sets, park benches and other outdoor plastic items. You can find a drop-off location near you here. Will you be recycling your wrappers?
- DoorDash is implementing a new initiative specifically to provide financial and educational resources to businesses owned by women, immigrants and people of color. They will provide programming for businesses to stabilize and adapt their business through Main Street Strong Accelerator and then will offer $2 million in grants to program participants made in two $10,000 payments. 100 restauranteurs in New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta and Philadelphia will participate.
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry made waves last night with their interview with Oprah Winfrey. Not only did they share their side of the story on why they stepped down from royal titles, they shocked everyone with behind-the-scenes information on the struggles they faced within the Royal Family. If you haven’t watched yet, we won’t share any spoilers, but be prepared to leave questioning the monarchy…
We hope you have a great rest of your week and we’ll see you back on the blog next Monday!