Happy Monday and welcome back to the blog. This week we have a big holiday to celebrate – Cinco De Mayo! This Wednesday, May 5, we honor the anniversary of the Battle of Puebla, a military victory in 1862 over the French – don’t make the common misconception that Cinco De Mayo is Mexican Independence Day (September 16).
While the day has transformed into a time to drink margaritas, there are so many other great ways to celebrate (in a non-offensive way) including supporting Mexican-owned businesses, visiting local museums that highlight Mexican artists and, yes, digging into some delicious food! Just make sure to look for local restaurants and try to diverge from an order of nachos to instead experience traditional mole, enchiladas or chile rellenos.
Now that you’re all prepared for this Wednesday, let’s get into what you should know for the rest of the week!
Upcoming Holidays & Observances
- May the Fourth Be with You – May 4
- This should be on repeat all day
- Cinco De Mayo – May 5
- Mother’s Day – May 9
- National Armed Forces Day – May 15
- Tax Day – May 17
Trends You Should Know
- The newest acronym taking over the internet is “NFT” and if you’re like us, it took us a little bit to understand how they work. An NFT or non-fungible token, is a unique digital asset stored on a blockchain that can be sold as digital art. Buying an NFT essentially gives you ownership of the work – The Verge puts it as “anyone can buy a Monet print, but only one person can own the original.” The buzz is that digital art, including memes, gifs and music, are being sold off for exorbitant prices including popular memes like “Disaster Girl”, which sold for over $400,000.
- Star Wars fans, Disney+ is looking out for you this Tuesday, May 4, a.k.a. Star Wars Day. Not only will an animated series Star Wars: The Bad Batch be released, there will also be a Star Wars and Simpsons crossover short and two virtual experiences allowing you to travel through the galaxy. Get your lightsaber ready, have your popcorn next to you and enjoy your day!
- In honor of Teacher Appreciation Week this week, National Geographic has started a new hashtag to highlight educator stories. The travel outlet encourages teachers to share anecdotes from their students, tales from the classroom or struggles during online teaching using #BothAndStories.
- Mother’s Day is right around the corner and it’s down to the wire to have your present arrive on Sunday, May 9. If you haven’t purchased a gift yet, here’s a list of some of the best presents you can still buy online. Most florists still have bouquets available, but order sooner rather than later to ensure your Mom isn’t receiving them on Monday!
We hope you have a great rest of your week and we’ll see you back on the blog next Monday!