Welcome back to the blog and we hope you’re all having a great start to the week! This past Sunday, all the biggest stars in Hollywood were recognized at the 93rd annual Academy Awards. With social distancing measures still in place, the award ceremony took place in several different locations including Los Angeles and inside actors’ homes.
In a year where inclusion and diversity within the entertainment industry had a spotlight on at all times, the Academy did their part. This year was the first time an all-Black producing team was nominated for best picture, the first time that two women were nominated for best director and the first time a Korean performer won best supporting actress. One of the biggest shocks of the night was Anthony Hopkins winning the best actor award over the late Chadwick Boseman. For a full list of all the winners, see here.
Now that you’re caught up on what happened at the Oscars, let’s get you ready for the rest of the week!
Upcoming Holidays & Observances
- National Arbor Day – April 30
- May Day – May 1
- Orthodox Easter – May 2
- Cinco De Mayo – May 5
- Mother’s Day – May 9
Trends You Should Know
- Well that was pretty short lived… We mentioned in our last blog that there were plans for a “European Super League,” uniting some of the most well-known names in European football under one group. It was, almost immediately, met with strong opposition from fans and it seems like the fans won! Following protests, all six English teams backed out within 24 hours and were swiftly followed by two other teams just a day later. That was the divisive blow to the league and within days, it crumbled. In addition to fans not being happy with team leadership even entertaining this idea, the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) president, Aleksander Ceferin, is also planning on implementing other penalties.
- To align with her mission of empowering women and girls, gymnast Simone Biles has left her previous sponsor Nike for Athleta, a female-focused activewear brand. Biles stated the move was to support other brands who are lifting and showcasing female voices and she believes together they can “help girls to confidently and passionately take on the world.” Girl power!
- California may have yet another celebrity as its governor. Former Olympic decathlete and reality television star Caitlyn Jenner announced that she has officially filed paperwork to run for governor. Jenner is planning on running on the Republican ticket to replace Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom in the upcoming recall election.
- The 2021 NFL draft is this Thursday, April 29 out of Cleveland and starts one of my favorite times of year: football season. Some picks are going to be pretty obvious, like Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence heading to the Jacksonville Jaguars, but there are always a few changeups that keep the event exciting. In a draft class that is filled to the brim with high-quality talent especially in the quarterback division with Mac Jones and Justin Fields, here’s to hoping your team gets some solid picks.
We hope you have a great rest of your week and we’ll see you back on the blog next week!